Sunday, May 07, 2006

Okay, it's Sunday, and as promised, an update.

Online, I've continued to perform well. I had lost about 20.00, and gained it back. I'm doing fine online. In about ten minutes, I'll be playing an fpp tourney to a larger fpp tourney (400 to 4000).

The live rebuy tournament...wow. The live rebuy tournament I was in was very disappointing, but not for normal reasons that a tournament would be disappointing.

Here are some of the good things that happened:
Even though I brought 120.00 to it, I only had to spend 40.00, and I had a very competitive stack for a large portion of the tournament.
I made some great calls that I really focused on.
I made an excellent trap on a player that typically doesn't give up too many chips. I got him all in on nothing but top pair, and I had trips. Big pot.

But, at one point, I went on complete tilt, and donked off all my chips, and it had nothing to do with a beat, or the normal things that might put someone on tilt.

First off, I rarely go on tilt live. Not while playing. I might bust out of a tournament, and be on tilt after it's all over, but I rarely if ever go on tilt live. I just don't. But, this pissed me off.

Okay...the situation.

We were playing a 10.00 rebuy. You start with 1,000 chips, and when you're at 1,000 or below you can rebuy during the first two levels. Typically everyone double rebuys. The first two levels were 45 minutes each, so we had 90 minutes for rebuys. At the end of that time, you could actually get a double add-on. So, the minimum amount you should have after the r+a is 4,000 chips. Going into this, I thought that if I had at least 8,000 chips, I would be in contention for a win. I would obviously like to have more, but having 8,000 would be nice because the next two levels were 50/100, and 100/200 and they would be 30 minutes a piece. With 8,000 chips and an hour of flexibility I could seriously accumulate.

And, I did accumulate, although I was not able to get too much. I took a big pot with KK, and stole the blinds and antes, and got up to around 15,000 in chips. We had went from 4 tables down to 3, down to 2 and we had a break. The person to my left, a quiet, tight, lady who was very nice had about 4,000 in chips.

When we got back from break, however, she was not sitting there. Her husband was. Her husband was probably 10x her skill level, however, he had busted out much earlier. Probably 4 levels earlier, he had busted out. I thought, "he's just going to sit there, but he won't play."

We're in the 200/400 w/ante at this point after the break, and I'm stealing blinds with A4 off suit. I'm not getting too invovled at a full table with A4, it's no different than 85 to me in this particular situation, so to me I was stealing with trash.

The guy had folded some hands before this steal attempt, and I had been thinking, "What the fuck is he still doing here?" But, he was folding hands, and I think I was just dumbfounded that someone was taking over for someone else. I couldn't believe it. Looking back, I most certainly should have said something, and I've learned a lesson in that regard.

So, I raise with A4, and he goes all in, and my first thought is, "I just got raised by a stack that isn't even here!" Incidentally, the lady was too tired to play the rest, so that's the reasoning her husband gave for even being there. I'll tell you that I saw them talking outside on break, and I think he convinced her to let him take over for her. But, that's only speculation. Also, you should know that this guy put the most into the prizepool. I spent 40.00 in the tournament, he probably spent about 220.00 (possibly more, I don't know how much his wife spent). So, it's possible he felt entitled.

I ended up reluctantly folding the A4. It was an easy fold, however, I wanted the hand to be done over. This guy shouldn't have been in it.

I was on tilt. Of course, as you know my being on tilt is my fault. I should have been able to deal with this situation, however, I was so pissed, and I let it completely affect my play which is completely my fault. Even though that guy did something unethical, it doesn't give me an excuse to go nuts.

So, I get 45 in the bb, and another player raises, and I call. I hit a 5, and I call down to the river which cost probably half my stack (the player is a very aggressive post flop player). Calling down like this is something I would never do in the situation I was in. Especially against a very tight, aggressive, intelligent player that I knew could beat freaking bottom pair.

Now, I'm down, and I'm even more on tilt, and I'm thinking about this player that shouldn't even be there, and I get a pair of 6's. I raise from late position, the unethical player goes all in with about 4500, and the player behind him reraises to more than my stack. I'm on such tilt that I think for about 30 seconds, and say "fuck it." I'm done.

The unethical player busted, and the player that was behind him got a very nice pot with a set of jacks. I actually hit a set myself, however, his set beat mine. I mean it when I say it, had I won the pot, I would have taken out around 3800 (what I think he started with when he took over) chips, and put them where he was sitting, and let that stack blind out because that would have been the most fair thing to do for all the players in the tournament.

So, I didn't cash, although I played great, then ran into a situation I thought I would never encounter.

If he had won, who would be credited for the win? His wife? She didn't play the second half of the tournament. Him? He busted out for all his chips much earlier.

Let's say Dan Harrington started a rebuy, then busted out. His wife was playing, and it was the first time she ever played a tourney. Dan's wife decides to go, and Dan takes over for her. You really think ANYONE in the tourney would go for that? Obviously not.

Well, I talked to the host of the game, and he felt the way I do, but just did not expect something like that to ever happen. He assured me it would never happen again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counter