Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Two final tables out of two tournaments played in two days.

I don't play many tournaments per day. I should, it's just, I don't do it currently. I think I will eventually get to that. So, I don't have so many final tables because I just don't play that many tournaments at a time.

But, on 7/30, and 7/31 I got two final tables in a row. Both were in rebuys, and both were on the same site.

Now...here are some things about both tournaments. One, the number of entrants was manageable. 300 or less.

I played a little tighter. But, when I thought I had best hand I was generally right about it, and I bet it hard. There were times when my best pre-flop hands were not getting called at all though. So, the tables were paying attention to me somewhat, and giving me credit for good hands. On Stars, I would have certainly been called. I don't want to say that the players are worse on Stars, it's just everyone is in much more of a hurry. And, rightfully so. It doesn't excuse mistakes, I'm just saying, people feel threatened by time on Stars. The blinds are not horrible...there are just SO many entrants. You'll win more when you win, but you just won't final table as often on Stars.

Recently, an author came out with a book on tournament speed, and how these "fast" tournaments should be played. I somewhat agree with him (The Poker Tournament Formula by Arnold Snyder) however, I just think that you really need to play optimally always and you'll eventually win. You'll lose more often if you are playing 1000 person entrant tournaments than if you're playing 200 entrant tournaments, however, when you DO win you'll win more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Hit Counters
Web Site Counter